For a while I have pondered over becoming a veterinary technician. I actually ponder a lot about what I should be doing with my life but vet tech always kept reappearing. So, a little while back (like two months ago?) I contacted the vet tech program at my school and asked if they were accepting applications. They were accepting them but the priority deadline was ending within a couple weeks! I had to get three letters of recommendation, an essay written, and attain quite a few hours of clinic observation (I could do that in the summer though). I had my work cut out for me, the letters took a while to get and the essay had such a tricky question. But in the end I got everything in on time. When I turned it in I was lucky enough to meet with the veterinarian who'd be training us. We spoke for a while and she already sounded very enthusiastic about me getting in. So, we set a date for an interview with the acceptance committee and then all I had to do was anxiously wait.
About a month later I had the interview. I wish I had somewhat prepared but all in all I didn't know what to prepare for (they said I didn't really need too either). Some of the questions they asked me I had never really thought about before on an in depth level. I send a thankful prayer to the almighty Buddha who got me through that interview, I felt as though I totally failed. But in the end they told me that I was accepted. I was so thrilled and so relieved. After that things happened fast. I got all of my classes scheduled and they told me all of the things that I would be expecting towards the beginning of the program. Holy biscuit! I am totally going to have to be working my butt off!
I am so excited to start this new chapter of my life and I can't wait to see where it takes me.
One of the most exciting things I get to do is wear scrubs and workout shoes all day! What gets better than that? I am so exceedingly excited for this.
 |
| I can't wait to pick some out. |
Yay! Congratulations! I someday want to be a veterinarian.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Yeah, I am trying vet tech out to see if the veterinary field is the way I want to go with my career :)
DeleteWelcome to our world! I've been a vet tech for the last 7 years, working in specialty practice with a focus on emergency and critical care. It is a lot of hard work, physically, mentally and sometimes emotionally, but it is so rewarding. I love my job. My only complaint is that I really do wish they paid as much as they pay in the human medical field! My husband is an RN. They are required to do a third of what techs do, with only 1 species, for double the pay. I can't imagine myself working with human patients though! Haha
ReplyDeleteThanks Saiph! I do agree about the pay, I've looked into it and it doesn't seem great but sometimes the pay must be sacrificed for something we love :)
DeleteGood luck! I briefly thought about doing the vet tech route after withdrawing from veterinary school (long story), but know too many vet techs that have left the field due to the dismal pay.
ReplyDeleteHowever, it has some very rewarding days to be certain. Good luck!
Wow congrats!! What a great accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteThank you Karley :)
DeleteThanks Allison!
ReplyDelete